Cosmetic bonding is the process of applying a tooth-colored composite material to improve the appearance of a tooth.
Cosmetic bonding is the process of filling or restoring teeth with a tooth-colored material in order to improve a tooth’s appearance. In order to bond a tooth, composite material is added to the tooth structure to adjust the size, shape, or color of the existing tooth. This process enhances your smile while allowing the tooth to maintain a natural appearance.
Bonding is often used to:
- Correct the shape of a chipped tooth
- Correct the appearance of a cracked tooth
- Provide more even tooth color
Advantages of bonding over other treatments include:
- Bonding can be a less expensive treatment than other cosmetic options
- An appointment for bonding treatment usually takes less time to complete
- Bonding usually allows the tooth’s structure to be preserved
Bonding may sometimes be preferred over veneers or crowns but may not be as long-lasting or durable. Bonding material can stain from coffee, tea, tobacco, or some foods, so proper home care is important.